Spicy black bean soup is a quick and easy recipe that will help warm you up on a cold day. The spices in this dish are simple, yet give this soup a great, flavorful taste that would pair well with a side of chips and roasted tomato salsa.
The key step to getting a rich, creamy texture with this soup is to blend it just before serving. A high powered blender, like a refurbished Vitamix blender is a great tool to have in the kitchen for tasks like this because they can blend up to 64 ounces of soup in one batch.
- Black beans – 4 cups
- Diced tomatoes – 2 cups
- Vegetable stock – 2 cups
- Chopped onions – 1 cup
- Jalapeno – 1
- Garlic, minced – 1 clove
- Cumin – 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes – 1 tsp
- Cilantro – 1 bunch
- Sour cream – For garnish
- In a large pot, combine 3 cups of the black beans with 1 cups of the diced tomatoes and the vegetable stock.
- Heat over medium heat until it begins to simmer.
- Add the jalapeno, onions, garlic, red pepper flakes and cumin.
- Continue to simmer to allow the flavors to combine for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a blender, working in batches if necessary.
- Blend on low for about 30-45 seconds to roughly combine mixture.
- Return the blended mixture to the pot and add the remaining tomatoes and beans.
- Continue to simmer for about 20-30 minutes without a lid to allow the mixture to thicken.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with sour cream and cilantro if desired.