Taco Casserole Recipe
1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
1 cup salsa (we used Pace because that’s what we had, but the recipe calls for 1 cup Ortega thick & smooth taco sauce)
1 lb ground beef
1 pkg (1.25 oz) taco seasoning mix
1 pkg (12) Ortega Taco Shells, broken and divided (can also sub corn chips)
1 small onion chopped
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup water
How To Make Taco Casserole:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Grease 9×13 baking dish.
3. Cook beef and onion until beef is browned, drain and rinse.
4. Stir in taco sauce or salsa, water, chiles, and seasoning mix.
5. Cook over low for 3-4 minutes.
6. Layer half the broken shells on the bottom of baking dish, cover with half of the meat mixture, sprinkle with one cup of cheese, repeat with remaining ingredients.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and melted. Makes 8 servings.
8. Optional: garnish with olives, lettuce then tomatoes on top. Other suggestions are sliced green onions, sour cream or jalapenos.