Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 (15 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, rinsed
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
1 lb. raw chicken breasts or thighs
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
salt & pepper to taste
lime wedges, cheese, sour cream & avocado to garnish
For the Tortilla Strips
7 flour tortillas
vegetable oil for brushing
How To Make Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup:
1. Add the chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion,chiles, garlic, water, broth, corn, beans & spices to the slow cooker, stirring a bit to combine.
2. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
3. After cooking, use two forks to shred the chicken. (I like to pull each out onto a cutting board to shred and then add back to the pot.) Add salt & pepper to taste.
4. Serve with lime juice, shredded cheese, sour cream and avocado if desired.
For the Tortilla Strips:
1. Brush one side of the tortillas with the oil and stack 4 at a time. Cut into ½ inch strips and lay in a single layer on a cookie sheet- sprinkling with salt.
2. Bake at 400F for 10-15 minutes or until crispy.